Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.21.2015

Microblog Mondays: Christmas activities



This year with Izzy being a bit older we had a lot of fun doing various Christmas activities with her.

Two weeks ago we met up with friends at the local Botanic Gardens where they have a cool train exhibit. She loved it last year and enjoyed it once again.




While we didn't make a big production about getting a tree (*cough*cough* local nursery), we did have a fun time decorating it. We didn't have a tree last year because we left for Spain on Christmas Day so every time we opened a box of ornaments, Izzy would say "whoa" or "wow." She certainly enjoyed the new moose ornament CP and I got at the Chriskindlemarket downtown this year.




A couple weeks in and I am AMAZED that Izzy isn't pulling on ornaments or the tree and hasn't tried to open any presents yet. When we get home from work/daycare every day she does request that we turn the lights on the tree and has picked up a couple of presents and said "hold it?" I ask her to put it down and then tell her "not yet. We have to wait for Christmas." She then tells herself, "not yet." LOL.



This year was also the first year that Izzy has met Santa. I didn't want to take her out in public too much her first year since she was less than a month old and last year we didn't have time (instead she took a picture with one of the Three Kings while we were in Spain).

She was a little unsure (Mommy why are you putting me on this strange man's lap?), but no tears and a cute picture despite the worried look on her face.






Afterwards Izzy got to write a letter to Santa to put in his mailbox. Since she is only two she wasn't asking for anything specific so we just put down "toys please" and she scribbled on the paper.




Very proud of her letter (and her first hair cut earlier in the day!).




Mailing the letter.




Finally we made Christmas cookies! I used the allrecipes.com sugar cookie recipe and made the dough Saturday night. It cooled in the fridge overnight and yesterday morning we were ready to make the cookies. (Izzy didn't quite understand that we needed to cook the cookies first as she kept saying "eat it?")



I did most of the rolling and Izzy helped me press the molds into the dough. After baking the cookies we let them cool before putting some icing on them. Izzy would press the cookie into a bowl of sprinkles to decorate them. The kitchen got messy but she had a great time!





Cookie decorating by Izzy.



Excited to eat the final product!




Otherwise, since Izzy doesn't get the concept of the Elf on the Shelf quite yet, CP has enjoyed moving the Elf around when we get home and having Izzy find it. We don't exactly follow the rules on touching the Elf....maybe next year.

Speaking of Elf, we watched the movie on Saturday night. I was amazed that Izzy sat through basically the entire movie. She loved it! It's definitely my favorite Christmas movie so I'm excited to watch it with her every year.

Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here.

14 comments:

Gypsy Mama said...

Merry Christmas Izzy!

Cristy said...

Looks like Izzy is fully embracing the season! Lots of fun all around. Hoping she has a blast Christmas morning.

And hoping you are doing well too.

Alice said...

She's SO adorable! What a fun age for Christmas activities :)

Aramis said...

You make me look forward to Christmas with a toddler so much. It looks like you guys have so much fun! Merry Christmas!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

So cute. All of it -- it's so much fun when they finally understand what's happening and can get excited, too.

Feisty Harriet said...

This sounds like the perfect kind of Christmas, actually.

xox

Libby said...

So stinkin' cute!!! Love the Santa pic:-) Ours was a complete disaster this year...lots of screaming and crying, not because Preston was scared. Nope...he was just completely pissed off! lol

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Christmast is such a magical time at Izzy's age. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I love that age when they can feel the excitement without any of the drama!

Jess said...

I can't believe she didn't cry with Santa! Annika was NOT having it. I ended up having to sit next to him with her on my lap. Oh well.

internetg33k said...

Wonderful photos! Best wishes for a magical and merry Christmas!

Mali said...

Very cute. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Jess said...

Izzy is just too precious! I love all her facial expressions, and how excited she is for Christmas. It must be so fun now that she has an understanding of all the celebration and preparation. I love the photos, thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

I'm so impressed that she didn't take ornaments off the tree and actually listened about leaving the presents alone. I don't know what it's like to actually have a toddler that listens! Lol. She sure is getting so grown up in her toddlerhood. I just adore her smile in the last few pictures! Looks like you had a lot of fun with Christmas activities.