This weekend CP and I set out to find a new mattress and box spring. We weren’t planning on buying another bed, but after breaking down the bed in the second bedroom, we discovered something that looked like mold. Booo. The possibly-moldy (but still in good shape) mattress is now over 25 years old, so it was probably time for its life to end anyway. CP and I went back and forth about whether we would just buy a cheap-o mattress and keep our current bed in our room, or to buy a new mattress for us and move our current mattress into the guest bedroom.
We decided that if we were going to spend the money, we should buy a new bed for the two of us.
The first place we stopped we were a little wary about going into because when we were looking for furniture, the saleswoman didn’t listen to us. We were lucky to get someone else to help us this time.
I was willing to go with a regular spring mattress because although they are only under warranty for 10 years, they clearly last longer (see moldy mattress above). However, CP then dropped a bomb on me. Every time I get in up in the middle of the night to pee, he wakes up. Whaaaa? He has never uttered a single word about waking up when I pee. He HAS complained about my tossing and turning when I am trying to fall asleep, but never my peeing.
Whoops.
I don’t necessary try to get out of bed slowly when getting up to pee, but I’m not crashing around getting in and out either. After the salesman heard this, he guided us towards the mattresses that decreased “motion transfer.” CP gravitated towards a latex mattress that he said lessened my movement getting in and out of bed.
My question is, do any of you have a latex mattress? Does it keep its shape? In another mattress store the salesman tried to push us towards a memory foam-type mattress and I nixed that idea quickly. I have heard that those mattresses are nice for about three years and then they fall apart. I’m not spending this much money on a bed to have to buy another one in three years!
So anyway, tell me about your bed. :-)
7 comments:
We have a TempurPedic and I love it, but we already had to replace it after only 3 years. Thank goodness it was free under warranty!
We've had our memory foam for almost 6 years, and it is still in good shape (ours isn't TempurPedic, it's some no-name brand from Linens n' Things). However, they hold heat, so if either of you are hot sleepers, you'll probably be miserable. My husband (usually the hot natured one) thinks it's fine, I usually sweat all night. Buying an Outlast mattress pad did help though.
oh my gosh, this is right up our alley. we had a bed fiasco a few months ago. we are on my husbands bed from 10 years ago, that he bought without trying it out. we tried out a sleep number, and i think it was defective or something, but t ended up rolled over on me mid-night. then we bought this super expensive music bed. it was too squishy when we got home with it. then we got another one....then we put that downstairs and now are back on the original bed. seriously.
We have a latex bed and we LOVE it. No squeaking, little movement, it's amazing. And it's under warranty for 25 years. Win.
hmmm..I just have a regular old bed I guess, but I rarely if ever have to pee at night so no worries...I've heard the Tempurpedic thingys are nice
We just went through this because my back was hurting on our old mattress. We ended up with a memory foam from Costco that had good reviews. One month in, we BOTH were having back problems. Costco has a great return policy, so we switched to a normal laytex memory foam mix, and it's great. We were going to get a 100% laytex one from Ikea, but we didn't know what we'd do with $1,000 credit if we had to return it.
We have a latex mattress and love it. We've only had it for a year and a half so I can't remark on its longevity but I will say that the reason we got latex is because Torsten grew up with it and will settle for nothing less. His parents have had the same mattresses for the past 30 years and they are still incredibly comfortable and sturdy. And Torsten says he never wakes up when I get up to pee. Which is convenient, since I do that 3-4 times every night at the moment.
Post a Comment