Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.11.2010

Frustration

As I read Taryn’s post on Friday, I kept nodding to myself.

Last week I had lovely gas. I wasn’t really eating anything too different, so I googled whether gas was a early symptom of pregnancy (mixed results- some women said that it was for them, others said no). Thursday I had a bit of bleeding so I googled when implantation bleeding occurred. Could I still be in that window? Turns out yes, but I had the same thing happen the prior month so I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much.

Unlike Taryn I haven’t been purchasing pregnancy tests. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about the few “I Didn’t Know That I Was Pregnant” shows where the women continues to get her period throughout her pregnancy. Could that be me?

But no. We are now 0-2.

It’s easy to say to not stress about this whole process. But that is not something that I can do. It’s been two months now. According to the books that I have read and my online googling, we are “practicing” at the right times. Is there something wrong? Should I be worried? And I know that for people our age it takes an average of six months. But are those people really trying? Are they actively “practicing” at the right times? Or just having sex whenever they want?

The online searches are also very frustrating (and I’m not even talking about the misspelled words, no punctuation and text speak that are all over pregnancy forums). People that are pregnant because of a drunk one-night stand. People that are pregnant because they forgot to use a condom once with their boyfriend/husband. I even have a few friends on Facebook that have accidently gotten pregnant lately. As someone who is actively trying, that is especially frustrating. Why are these people able to get pregnant and we are not?

I should be thinking about not getting pregnant this month in a positive way. This way I can help out with all of the moving (although I would have loved to have gotten out of moving the heavy stuff!). This way I can paint. But as much as the logical side of me wants to say that not getting pregnant is a good thing this month, I am still sad. Still worried.

Hopefully we can get settled into our new place quickly. I plan on buying a basal body thermometer and using it to track when I ovulate.

Boy I hope this happens soon. I don’t want to write this post every month.

12 comments:

Kate said...

Get settled, my friend. Your body knows it's under a lot of stress right now. THEN you can start to worry.

Or not!

Lisa said...

It took us a year. We were "trying" but not as hard as some people, I guess is the way to put it? I never took my temp, I was horrible with remembering to do ovulation tests at the right time...

This might be TMI-ish, but it was something I didn't know and I think it made the difference, so I'm all for sharing knowledge. Regular lube can be harmful to sperm. No clue this could make or break conceiving, because it's not like anyone would rely on lube for birth control (I hope). BUT, I bought some Pre' from Baby Hopes and we got pregnant the first month we used it.

@JessEsco said...

Ah hon it sucks I know. Especially when people around you are getting preg (especially those who aren't even trying...). It took us about 2/3 months with my daughter.

Good luck!

Natalie said...

aw hang in there, I know it's hard to be patient! ...and I know once we start trying I'll be feeling the same way!

Anonymous said...

I know its easier said than done, but try to relax - but I have heard that stress and worry can affect ovulation and decrease the liklihood of getting pregnant.
And if that doesn't work - a surefire method that I have heard about is to get wicked drunk and then have sex in your car...

funderson said...

It took me a year and half..or so? See I don't really remember anymore. I know it sounds patronizing, but just enjoy your "before time"...no worries...just no worries

Navigating the Mothership said...

I ALWAYS think that my period is not proof enough of not being pregnant, even before that dumb TLC show came out. It's ridiculous, and yet...

It just feeds my pregnancy test-taking addiction.

Hope next month is your month!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I can have all the seemingly wise words in the world for you ... but, at the end of the day, this is something you really want. And nothing I can say will likely temper those wishes. What I can say is don't just rely on the Internet - it's filled with icky stuff when sometimes all you need is to talk to your doctor/midwife/genetic counselor/husband/mother/friend. Point being, lean on your network to help guide you through this time.

Jess said...

I know this part is so frustrating and there is nothing that could make you feel better other than getting pregnant. And I remember when my period came the first month we tried that even though I KNEW it could take healthy people months to conceive, I immediately started wondering if it meant that something was wrong. But it doesn't, really it doesn't. I think you have something like a 25% chance of conceiving on any given cycle IF you time things perfectly. So really, two months is nothing. I really hope you get pregnant soon but even if it takes a few months that doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong.

Fingers are crossed for you!

Taryn said...

AMEN sister! It will happen for you! Taking your temp will really help - when I started doing that I realized I was ovulating on day 21, and my doctor had said to make sure we "practiced" days 12-18, so I was totally missing it! Good luck!!

Meg said...

Keep practicing! Don't take it as a sign that you're never going to get pregnant, you just might need some more time :)

Christina said...

It is not easy and it is very frustrating. But all you can do is keep being healthy and listen to your body.

Fingers and toes crossed for you.