Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.06.2010

Should be

Right now we should be signing a lot of documents and preparing to unload a truck full of our stuff into our new house tonight. Since I used the word “should” that should tip you off that the closing is not going to happen today.

*sigh*

So yeah. Yesterday was a sh*tshow. On the phone with our lawyer. On the phone with our real estate agent. On the phone with CP. Calling my dad (who is a real estate lawyer in another state) to see if there was anything we could do. I mean, everything was set until the bank realized that someone at the relocation company signed the documents that wasn’t authorized to do so. What kind of idiot does that? It’s not like this is their first closing. They are a national relocation company.

Sadly, we don’t have any recourse. Connecticut does not have a “time is of the essence” clause in their real estate contracts. As long as the closing happens within a reasonable amount of time then neither party violated the contract.

We are still trying to get into the house early- even if that means moving our stuff into the garage for the weekend. But that is most likely not going to happen. Which means that we will still have to pay for the moving truck that was confirmed earlier this week. We will lose moving help from my dad who happened to be on the east coast this weekend and was going to drive up to help us and check out the house. We will lose moving help from CP’s dad and girlfriend. No new mattress delivery tomorrow.

But. No one died. We don’t have to be out of our current house by Monday (thankfully). The carpenter and electrician are not scheduled to start their work until next week. The appointments I had scheduled with the cable company, the home energy audit company, etc. are not until the following week.

Yes we are inconvenienced by the fact that we are not going to close today. But it is not the end of the world. We have a closing time of 2pm on Monday which means Sunday we will pack up the truck and move things into our new house Monday night. CP then has to leave for another work trip on Tuesday, but we will have plenty of time to move, even if it means losing a weekend. The mattress delivery has been rescheduled.

The world hasn’t ended. But it would have been a lot nicer if we could have closed today!


Replies to Comments
  • Raquel- thanks for the cornstarch on the tomatoes tip! My mom gave me that tip earlier this year for a yellow fungus that starts to slowly grow up the tomato plants. I forgot about it for a while, then sprinkled a bunch of it on two plants we had in pots because they were starting to turn yellow. The two plants didn’t feel the wrath of the horned tomato worms. The four plants next to the house that we didn't sprinkle cornstarch on? Well, you saw the pictures. Coincidence? I think not. I will be buying a large tub of cornstarch to sprinkle weekly over the tomato plants next year. :-)
  • According to the website, aqua shoes are required for the underwater treadmill and spin classes and strongly encouraged when using the equipment on your own. I could see aqua spinning being hard if you don’t have shoes. But yes, I agree with all of you that it is a little weird.
  • Yay! I’m happy to hear that so many of you like your latex mattresses. Hopefully we will have the same experience!
  • You guys were really scaring me with your horror stories of house purchases. I’m crossing my fingers that the closing on Monday goes off without a hitch!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Sorry the closing got delayed, what a pain! I hope Monday works out!

Christina said...

Oh no, that sucks, I hope everything gest resolved soon.

Natalie said...

boo I'm sorry! We've had (and heard) many horrific closing stories! So Frustrating, but I'm glad you are able to have a pretty positive view of it. Good luck!