Last night as I got into bed, CP took Buster out for one
last pee before bed. I wish that I hadn’t
insisted on it. A minute later CP yelled
into the house “Buster just got sprayed by a skunk!” At first I thought that CP was joking, but
sadly, he was not. All I wanted to do
after watching Clinton’s speech at the DNC was to go to bed. That was clearly not going to happen.
I threw on my flip flops and headed down the stairs. Poor Buster ran into the house, blinking his
eyes furiously as I’m pretty sure the skunk hit him straight in the face (we
are watching him closely to make sure he doesn’t get an eye infection). He started trying to go upstairs but I wouldn’t
let him. I finally got him outside once
again and I started looking up the homemade recipe for de-skunking a dog. CP grabbed his shoes, got in the car and
headed out to find an open store for hydrogen peroxide (1 quart), baking soda
(1/4 cup), and liquid dish soap (2 tablespoons). I kept Buster outside, trying to console him
without actually touching him and also got him a wet towel to wipe his head and
hopefully help his eyes.
Luckily Walgreens was open at 11pm on a weekday and CP was
able to grab all of the supplies (and a bucket). I poured everything together and mixed it up
with a stick. CP claimed that the smell
was making him nauseous so I grabbed Buster and rubbed the homemade concoction
all over his body, (focusing mainly on his head and neck) massaging it in for
10 minutes as per the internet directions.
After washing him off with the hose (thank goodness we had the plumber
re-do the piping for the outside spigot AND that we had already hooked up the
hose), I dried him off with a towel.
Buster got to sleep in the kitchen last night (poor
buddy). I jumped in the shower while CP
took the towel and our stinky clothes and started the washer. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to shower
with so I used a scrub, regular soap, and body wash. :-) We
opened all of the windows in our house that we could and kept a fan going all
night in our room (it still stunk).
This morning when I got to work I realized that although I
took another shower this morning, I still have a little skunk smell on me and
oddly enough, on my phone (ewww).
Hopefully it comes off soon.
Buster has a bit of a smell left on his muzzle, but otherwise smells
fine. I’m hoping our house smells better
than when I left it this morning.
I’d love to say that Buster has now learned his lesson, but
he is still young and I don’t know if he will learn as quickly as FuzzyBritches did with the toad a few years back. Unfortunately, our town seems to be skunk
heaven as we smell them ALL THE TIME. We
may need to think about getting motion detection lights in the back of our
house to scare away skunks….or else have a lot of de-skunking supplies on
hand. *sigh*
Yesterday in general was a bit of a sh*tshow because CP
stayed home in the morning to meet with the guys that were supposed to install
our new granite countertops. After that
we would finally have a working kitchen- a cooktop! A dishwasher!
A new sink! But after they took
off the old laminate countertops, they said that they couldn’t install the
granite because one of the metal/steel support pieces was missing. WTF. CP
was able to go to Home Depot to grab a piece of steel, cut it with his new reciprocal
saw and screw it into place last night. So
now we have no countertops and no working sink…..
……and no idea when the installers can come
back. Fantastic.
3 comments:
Nice job getting buster all cleaned up!
Walgreens is awesome. I ran out of cat food on Christmas Eve (terrible mother) once and they were the only place still open late at night. :)
Good luck with your countertops, ugh that is annoying. I know all too well all the things that go wrong during renovations! It's soo hard to have patience!
Ugh. Gross.
Hopefully the next series of renovations go super smoothly. That happens...right? :)
Oh no! Poor Buster! I've heard getting the stink it out is a definite adventure - hope he's doing okay!
Post a Comment