I’m a bit frustrated today. I finally got in touch with the nurse for the fibroid surgery and she told me that the reason I haven’t gotten a call to schedule my fibroid surgery is because my hospital is getting a new robotic arm and they don’t have the schedule yet. So hopefully I will have a better idea of when I could have the surgery by the end of this month.
I would like to get it scheduled because with Thanksgiving, our mid-December Bahamas vacation (which may or may not happen at this point) and Christmas, there is a small window of opportunity to have the surgery. I have to wait three months for the Lupron to work and I can’t start that until my third day of my next period (late this month). So late November would be the earliest I could have the surgery. I will probably be out 7-10 days and I don’t want to feel too crappy on our vacation, even if our plan is just lay by the pool and drink fruity drinks (with some scuba diving if I am allowed). Of course I also have to be cleared to fly too…. I also don’t want to feel crappy on one of the holidays because we will be with CP’s family and I don’t want to be cranky around them (despite the fact that they will completely understand why).
Of course I am already stressed about this which is silly, but something that I can’t seem to control.
And then I am also nervous because I spoke to one of my African American coworkers (MJ) and it turns out that she AND her twin sister have had the surgery. Fibroids happen more often to AA women (they have no idea why)- which makes me want to joke about what a mistake it was to date my AA boyfriend in college as he clearly was the cause of the fibroid (ha). Anyway, her sister took the Lupron shot and had the surgery three months later. MJ said that she was an emotional/hormonal basket case from the Lupron…which is what I am afraid of. I had a period of two months in law school where I went NUTS because of the weird birth control I was taking (lucky CP was out of town a lot from work or else we probably wouldn't be together!). Her sister was so crazy that MJ refused the shot prior to her surgery. I shared my fears of being crazy due to the Lupron with CP and he said he figured that it was going to be a hard three months. Oh boy.
So yeah, the planner in me is going nuts because I just want to be able to write my surgery date into the calendar so I can start mentally preparing. I am also anxious to meet with the oral surgeon at the end of this month and get things moving on my braces. *sigh*
3 comments:
Have you thought about postponing the surgery until early January? That way, you can try to enjoy your holiday season/vacation without it being interrupted by the surgery. On the same note, you could also delay the surgery until March ... so, you don't start taking Lupron until late December or January ... that way, again, any side effects wouldn't interrupt your holidays. I know you want to get moving on this surgery (and more importantly, everything after that!) and that is largely driving your decision, so I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons of doing the surgery as soon as possible versus doing it when your schedule is a bit more flexible. Just a thought...
I hate to say that I laughed at this post because it isn't necessarily funny....but, your comment about your ex-boyfriend being the cause, made me crack up! I would blame him too!
I also totally "get" what it's like to be a planner and have things that are just out of your control. For now I would say you should only plan for the next 30-45 days and then once you have surgery details you can start planning further out a few months.
The planner in me would totally be going nuts as well. I like to plot my life for several months in advance and not being able to do that makes me crazy. Hopefully you get some solid answers on surgery dates soon!
Post a Comment