Hasn’t the East Coast had enough this week?
First it was the earthquake. I was sitting at my desk looking at the window (I’m on the 19th Floor) and I felt some swaying for about 30 seconds. I called over to my coworker in the next cube over, “Did you feel that?” She replied that it was probably just a large truck barreling down the highway. Ummmm no. I spent the rest of the day freaked out because my building is NOT earthquake compliant (buildings on the East Coast are generally not, but my building doesn’t even have a solid base- it’s hard to explain but I don’t want to post a picture) and I was worried that the puppies were completely freaked out.
Turns out that Buster didn’t react to it while at doggie daycare. A couple of the dogs freaked out and hid under things for about 30 minutes; I guess it didn’t even phase Buster. When I got home Fuzzy Britches seemed perfectly fine and ready to play with a ball in her mouth. Berners must be too stupid to be scared.
Now Hurricane Irene is heading towards NC and should be hitting CT around midnight Saturday night. Our governor, local meteorologists and newscasters are all stressing to take this storm seriously. I guess Hurricane Gloria hit CT really hard in 1985; unfortunately people were unprepared and without power for at least a week. I guess the state has more trees than in 1985 so downed trees and flooding are going to be the biggest problems.
CP and I have already started to find all of our batteries, find flashlights/headlamps, charge the camping lantern, find our camping water jug, find a bucket to put water in for the puppies, etc. Hopefully our local grocery store is not sold out of food easy to make with no power. We will gas up the cars today, buy more gas for the grill.
We were thinking of sleeping downstairs in the basement Saturday night in case the large tree in our backyard decides to fall down on the house (or any neighbors’ trees for that matter). We will have to watch water levels to make sure that the basement isn’t flooding. Otherwise, we can sleep in the spare bedroom on the first floor and if the tree does fall it would have to hit the second floor first.
*crossing fingers we are overreacting*
Knowing my luck this year though.....
3 comments:
Sounds like you have a plan, but you guys stay safe!
I was watching the news last night and thought about you! It's always better to be over-prepared then under-prepared. Stay safe!
I was a kid when Hurricane Gloria hit the Tri-state area and the winds were off the chart.
If the stores run out of batteries, go to the home/garden section and look for malice lights, they are solar charged so if you have a few minutes of sun you can charge then and use them in your bathroom etc.
Good luck!
Post a Comment