Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.19.2011

Back to basics

Yesterday I decided to switch up my running training a bit. So far my runs have been about two miles at about a 12 minute/mile pace. That is SLOW. So slow that it is hard for me to admit my pace, despite the fact that I am coming from a two month break in running.

So as I thought about it, I decided to go back to the mainstay- Couch to 5K. The program is supposed to help you run 10 minute/miles by the end. (I was certainly not running 10 minute/miles during my half marathon.)

My next race is the Hartford Marathon Relay with friends in two months. While they are not going to care how fast I run, I don’t want people running the actual marathon (as opposed to the one section that I will run) to fly past me. It’s a matter of pride.

So I am going back to the basics. I won’t start at Week 1, but yesterday completed Week 3, workout 1 which sadly was HARD. It was hard because I pushed myself and made myself run faster than an 11 minute/mile pace (my Nike+ pace ranged quite a bit). My heart pounded and I was out of breath by the time I was allowed to walk. But I know that it will get better. Once I get used to the pace I will up my miles so that I am ready for the race. I probably should have started this earlier, but I still have two months to try to increase my speed. The longest section is a 10K which is totally doable.

Unfortunately I am limping around today from my plantar fasciitis. Yep, it has reared its ugly head again. I really should stop running, but I am not going to. I am not willing to take more than two months off right now. Maybe I will take some time off after my fibroid surgery…..maybe I won’t. Maybe I will just wait until I (hopefully) get pregnant. I will just have to decide based on my pain level. I read an article on Jillian Michaels and she said that although she hates running, before every workout she runs three miles. She said it is absolutely the best way to lose weight. And I would have to agree.

How did you increase your running speed?

1 comment:

Tia said...

I just did my first 5k last Friday, after doing Weeks 1-7 on C25K. We trained at about 11:30 pace, and really my only goal was to finish in less than 40 min. I finished in 39min. I'm okay with slow. A slow runner is still a runner :) My goal is to increase speed, but now I've been off for a week with a nagging back issue. I'm off to the chiro after work today. I'm doing a Warrior Dash on Sept 11, and I'm terrified!