Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.16.2011

Rainy errands

Yesterday I decided instead of driving the 1.8 miles to drop off mail, I was going to walk to the mailbox. In the pouring rain. With Buster.

And you know what? It wasn’t so bad.

During the walk I patted myself on the back for doing something healthy during my lunch hour instead of driving and wasting gas. I not only mailed the letters but also tired Buster out for the afternoon. In addition, the walk woke me up for the rest of the day. Earlier I had been very tired but the walk made me downright perky for an afternoon of work.

Yes I got wet despite my umbrella. Yes it was a bit difficult trying to deal with the umbrella, Buster and a bag filled with poop for half of the walk until I came upon a garbage can. But it was no big deal to come home after the walk, towel Buster off, and take off my wet shoes, socks and pants.

Yesterday weather-wise was a bit of an anomaly because the rain kept the temperature in the low 70s. This whole summer has been a bit difficult for the pups as it has been pretty hot in the middle of the day. But lunch hour errands that I can also use as exercise for one of the dogs and myself, while also saving a car trip? I hope to do that more often. I used to walk all of the time in Chicago- driving a car was much too annoying when you could take the El….but I don’t live in a downtown area any more so I don’t have as many opportunities and things are farther away.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Overall yesterday was a good workout day. In addition to the walk with Buster during lunch, I took Koda for a mile walk after work. Then I ran to the gym to take my first 1.25 hour power yoga class.

The instructor decided to turn the heat on which was unexpected- it is August. I was dripping everywhere throughout the class which made my mat slippery (which made downward dog more difficult). It's possible that I don't have a true yoga mat and just more of a workout mat....

So I guess I can say I have now taken a hot yoga class? Thank goodness I wore a Dri Fit shirt as I was nasty! I think that I would enjoy the class a bit more if I was better prepared for the heat.

Too bad I don't have time to work out this much every day!!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Sometime the urge to walk is overwhelming, The one thing that helps with those raining was is a baseball hat.

How do you feel after those hot yoga classes? I

@JessEsco said...

That sounds like a great day! I love rain and walks. Perfect.